- 1. Which Bases still maintained the Quail Missile under MMS after their AMMS Squadron
was deactivated ? What date did they deactivate ?
2. Need help locating Squadron patches. The following are still missing:
1. 70th AMMS Clinton Sherman AFB
2. 39th AMMS Eglin AFB
3. 28th AMMS Ellsworth AFB
4. 320th AMMS Mather AFB
5. 72nd AMMS Ramey AFB
6. 6th AMMS Walker AFB
7. 397th AMMS Dow AFB
9. 449th AMMS Kincheloe AFB
10. 17th AMMS Wright Patterson AFB
11. 340th AMMS Bergstrom AFB
12. 450th AMMS Minot AFB
3. Who won the Best AMMS in SAC Award for the years 1969, 1971 and 1972 ?
A. There were two patches. A SAC Outstanding AMMS and a Best AMMS in SAC. What year was the Best AMMS in SAC instituted ?
4. The patch on the left is from the 450th at Minot. Does anyone recognize the one on the right ?
5. Anyone out there still have their Base Year Books from the mid 60's ? If you could scan the AMMS portion and send it to me I may buy you a cup of coffee.
I already have the Following:
Grand Forks AFB
6. Does anyone know what the requirements were for wearing the Master Tech Patch ?
1. You had to have completed OJT for your rank and skill level, one year without a failed evaluation, and recommendation from supervisor and commander with final approval from the DCM.
2. Analysts had to know the sine wave. 44's had to know how to reverse the direction on a ratchet. Guidance shop guys had to know when it was 4 o'clock. Vace guys had to know how to measure coffee scoops...
The Mike Murphy Search
Do you remember the little round ash trays on the BUFF. I believe they were used on all Boeing planes. When I owned a 1935 Ford I found that Ford used the same ash tray in their 1935 and 1936 cars. I verified this one day when I brought my Ford original to the OMS bench stock and compared it to one for the BUFF and KC-135. The two were exact matches, except for color. I have asked people that work in the local Boeing plants and they have no idea where Boeing originally purchased the ash trays. I have had no luck with Ford either. I guess this just another one of those unanswered mysteries.
Note: Can anyone help Mike with his quest for an answer ? Email